Step One: Making the Chocolate Cupcakes
- Cocoa Powder
- Baking Powder
- Preheat the oven to 170C(325F)Gas 3
- Out the flour ,cocoa powder, sugar, baking powder, salt and butter in a free standing electric mixer with paddle attachment (or use a handheld electric whisk)and beat on a slow speed until you get a sandy consistency and everything is combined.
- Whisk the milk, egg and vanilla extract together in a jug ,then slowly pour about half into the flour mixture, beat to combine and turn the mixer up to high speed (scrape any unmixed ingredients from the side of the bowl with a rubber spatula).Continue mixing for a couple more minutes until the mixture is smooth. Do not over mix.
- Spoon the mixture into the paper cases until two-thirds full and bake in a preheated oven for 20-25 minutes, or until the sponge bounces back when touched. A skewer inserted in the center should come out clean.
- Leave the cupcakes to cool slightly in the tray before turning out onto a wire cooling rack to cool completely.
- When the cupcakes are cooled, you may begin making them look like the Cookie Monster!
Step Two: Decorating Them Cookie Monster Style!
Ingredients for Decorations:
- 200g Butter, Softened
- 2 ½ Cups Icing Mixture
- 2 tsp Vanilla Extract
- Blue Food Colouring
- 1 tbsp Milk
- 1 Packet White Marshmallows
- 1 Tube Black Writing Icing
- 12 Chocolate Chip Cookies (1/2 per Monster with a few for breakage)
- Using an electric mixer, whip the butter until it is pale. This will take at least 5 minutes on high.
- Gradually add in the icing mixture and vanilla until well combined.
- With the mixer running, add in food colouring until you get to the Cookie Monster colour. This may be a lot if you are using liquid food colouring or a little if using gel food colouring.
- Add in the milk and mix until the frosting puffs up.
- Fill a piping bag with a fluted nozzle and pipe on icing.
- With the writing icing, place black spots on the marshmallows for pupils.
- Place on each cupcake.
- Cut cookies in half and place in “mouth”.
- You can use your favorite cupcake recipe for these, it doesn’t have to be chocolate!
- If the amount of food colouring concerns you, use a natural food colouring.
- If you don’t have time to use a piping bag for the icing you can swirl a very thick coating on the cupcake and use the flat blade of a knife to create the Cookie Monsters fur.
- It’s important to whip the butter until it is very pale, as the icing will take on a green hue from the yellow in the butter. If your icing takes on a green light, you can add some lilac to cancel out the colour.
- If you can’t get black writing icing, you can stick on brown mini M&M’s for the pupils.
If you enjoyed making these cupcakes then you’ll love the personalised cake decorations that we provide on our website www.heroesforkids.co.uk
Here we provide personalised photos and messages, as well as a variety of themed cake toppers.
Follow us on Facebook and Twitter for more ideas, activities, recipes, jokes/riddles and competitions; as well as promotions and discounts on our products.
Also feel free to take a look at our website www.heroesforkids.co.uk